The house we lived in Kanpur was a soldier’s barrack turned into quarters. A long shed like structure converted into four dwelling units, may be the word “quarter” comes from there. Ours’ was the corner unit on the main road side and the far end towards MI room. A long, covered veranda on the front ran through the entire length of the building.
But the peculiarity was not the barrack like construction of the house, it was a mysterious door between our house and the adjoining unit. We had put a heavy wooden box snugly filling its frame lest no one would inadvertently open it and intrude privacy of neighbour and vice versa. A similar box was sitting on the other side of the door for similar reasons as ours. It was clear what was behind the door and yet it looked mysterious to little Babu who would often stare at it.
In summers we would take out “khatia” (bamboo cots, very light weight) put them under open sky, put up mosquito nets and sleep outdoors. Once Shubhakar told us that he saw a ghost making rounds of Ber tree in front of the house dead at night. I was gullible so believed him. From then on, whenever I woke up briefly in the middle of night, I would furtively look at the Ber tree, if the ghost was there making rounds. Once I was so much primed with fear that I actually felt a shadow like thing made round of that tree and as soon as it turned my way disappeared.
Of course, it could be real but most likely a false visual induced by fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment